“What wicked webs we weave, when we conspire to deceive”– Famous Proverb
Real Estate agents are notoriously creative with their facts. It’s part and parcel of the job.
But sadly, there are those who’ll go further. Bending the truth to breaking point. Lying through their teeth to close a deal.
In a recent blog, we listed 6 signs of a bad real estate broker.
Now, we reveal some of the bare-faced lies that wicked estate agents are prepared to tell.
MORE DEMAND THAN SUPPLY
Some properties are so hot, they barely touch the market before they’re snapped up. But they’re few and far between.
More often a property will spend weeks, perhaps even months on the market.
“Offers are flooding in for this property. Act fast!” is something an ethical agent should only say, when it’s true.
Steer clear of agents that pretend that demand outstrips supply, on every property they represent.
“Hi, we’ve just had this amazing property come to market. And it’s perfect for you.” said the Agent.
“But it’s $500/week over my budget!”
There’s nothing more satisfying for an agent, than finding that perfect property which ticks all their client’s boxes. That’s because it’s such a rare thing to accomplish.
Most of the time, a property will miss the mark in some way. Could be that it’s a bit over budget. Or that it’s under-sized. Point is, that’s fine. Every property has its pros and cons. Every buyer or tenant, can make their own mind up.
Ethical Agents will come clean. Won’t claim that it’s a perfect match, if it isn’t. Sticking to the truth, no matter how ugly it is.
Wicked Agents will try to convince their prospect, that Mutton is infact Lamb.
PROMISING THE WORLD
Properties suffer wear and tear. We all know it. So when handling a new owner or tenant’s expectations, an agent must be very specific to what will and won’t be fixed, before handing over the keys.
“Everything will be repaired before handover.” is easy to say. Stick to the agent that follows through and delivers.
THE HIT LIST
As if that weren’t enough, here are some more classic fat ones.
- “The price is non-negotiable.” – Everything has a price. It’s all a matter of time, and circumstance. A seller that rejected an offer last month, might today accept a lower offer. Never hurts to try.
- “We’ll have it professionally cleaned and ready for you to move in.” – Be specific. Ask the agent to show you user reviews of the cleaning company they’ll be using.
- “You won’t hear a peep out of the neighbours. And they’re so friendly.” – This one’s tricky. Nobody really knows what neighbours can be like until they live next to them.
- “It comes with street parking, but there’s never a problem.” – Can the agent really back this up? Have they tried to find a spot in the evening when everyone’s home from work?
- “Everything works fine. If you notice anything, just give us a call and we’ll get right out to fix it.” – Let’s hope this doesn’t have to be put to the test at 2am when a water boiler bursts.
All Comes Out in the Wash
Agents that spin a yarn might get that signature on the dotted line faster. But the truth ultimately comes out and their reputation will carry the legacy of any shenanigans.
Remember, reputation is everything. Do your homework. Ask about the agent and agency that you’re thinking of appointing, to avoid any nasty surprises.
Have you heard any better one-liners from agents trying to bag a deal? We’d love to hear them in the comments section below!
For informative and light-hearted news and views on the world of real estate, follow overwrite.ai on Instagram and LinkedIn, and keep up-to-date with our weekly NewsBites blog.
overwrite.ai | the AI writing assistant for estate agents | Sign up for your Free 7 Day Trial.